Greetings Metrc Users,
As previously noted in Industry Bulletin 30 (New Features CSV Uploads), Metrc will begin gradually implementing rate limiting on our API.As you may recall, rate limiting caps the number of API calls a third-party integrator (TPI) can make in a given amount of time to ensure no single user or company can overwhelm the system.
Metrc is putting rate limiting functionality into production today to monitor API calls, but rate limits will be turned off. Metrc will then implement three gradually decreasing rate limits over the next 90 days; we will provide two weeks’ notice to TPIs prior to each rate limit going live.
Below is our approach to rate limiting. We will send additional detail as we learn more from our monitoring.
• Metrc will limit:
o The number of calls each integrator can make in a given amount of time,
o The number of calls per facility each integrator can make in a given amount of time, and o The number of concurrent calls each integrator can make.
• Some states may have different rate limits based on TPI needs for calls into the API. However, all of the TPIs in a given state will have the same rate limits.
• Rate limits only apply to “GET” calls and do not include “PUT,” “POST,” or “DELETE” calls in the API.
Below is the general schedule for rate limit implementation; it is designed to give TPIs ample time to make any necessary changes and adopt best practices.
1. Metrc will enable rate limits in a monitoring-only mode to help define the initial rate limit and assess the potential impact to TPIs. While the majority of TPIs shouldn’t be affected by the initial limit, we will notify any TPIs likely to be impacted by it during this time.
2. Metrc will announce the initial rate limit two weeks prior to it going live. We will then monitor API calls to assess impact and define the next limit.
3. Metrc will announce the second rate limit two weeks prior to it going live; this new limit will be lower than the first. We will then monitor API calls to assess impact and define the final limit.
4. Metrc will announce the final rate limit two weeks prior to it going live; this new limit will be lower than the second. We will continue to monitor API calls to assess impact.
This enhancement will make Metrc easier to use, and we are being deliberate in our gradual approach to minimize the impact to TPIs and their customers. Ultimately, it will result in a faster, more responsive,
and more equitable system for third-party integrators. If you have any questions,please reach out to email@example.com.