Transfers (Metrc Manual)
The Transferring of a package is a key component in the chain of custody in the metrc system. The graphic below shows the transferring process between the different types of facilities and how products move within metrc.
Important Note: The metrc system is a tool used by the industry and monitored by the MED. Metrc does not define or supercede any rule or regulation. A licensee should always verify a transfer is in compliance with all applicable rules and regulations put forth by the MED before completing a transfer.
There are several important points to keep in mind:
- Any movement from one facility license to another requires a transfer and a corresponding manifest generated by metrc.
- A package must exist in order for it to be selected for transfer.
- A transfer must be created anytime a package moves from one physical location or facility license to another.
- A transfer manifest is still required even if the two facilities are located in the same building. So if you have an OPC and an MMC operating the business, when you transfer a package it still requires the transfer manifest. This is how the chain of custody is maintained.
- Transfers are real-time inventory dependent.
- A package must be received completely, the system does not allow for partial package receipt.
- A transfer can be rejected by package or completely.
- A rejected package will require the originating Licensee to receive the package back into their custody.
- If you receive a package you will have the opportunity of reporting a new weight. Note: a new weight will raise an exception in the MED reporting.
- You must receive the transfer immediately. If not received within 24 hours, it will create a notification to the MED.
- If you have any questions at all about the transfer; you should reject it.
- New Transfer button. Selecting the New Transfer Button will launch the transfer manifest screen so a user can create a new transfer manifest form.
- View Manifest button. The View Manifest field will allow you to look at any existing manifest. You must first highlight the manifest you want to see. It will take a moment to load as the new manifest is created in PDF format. This is where you will be able to print your Manifest.
- Manifest View Tabs. You have three tabbed choices to view, incoming, outgoing and rejected. Keep in mind that you will only see the manifests for the location you are in.
- Origin. The Origin field shows you the location the transfer was created in along with the other corresponding information.
- Driver Name. The Driver Name field shows the name of the driver assigned to complete the transfer along with the other corresponding information.
- Vehicle Information. The Vehicle Information field shows the vehicle assigned to perform the delivery along with the other corresponding information.
- Packages. The Packages field shows the number of packages being moved in that transfer along with the other corresponding information.
- Estimated Departure. The Estimated Departure field shows the time the transfer is supposed to leave the point of origin entered into the transfer manifest for that particular transfer along with the other corresponding information.
- Estimated Arrival. The Estimated Arrival field shows the time the transfer is supposed to arrive at the destination entered into the transfer manifest for that particular transfer along with the other corresponding information.
- Recieved. The Received button shows the time the recipient of the transfer selected the receive button in metrc. This may or may not actually correspond to the drop off time. It is important for the receiving licensee to select the receive button as soon as they have received the product to avoid discrepancies.
- Manifest. The Manifest field shows a list of all of the manifests for that particular facility along with the corresponding information.
- License Number. The License Number shows the originator of the transfer along with the other corresponding information.
- Drosp-Down Menu Arrow. The Drop Down Menu Arrow indicates the file has more detail available to see. By selecting this arrow the user can see the events related to this transaction. In this case, you can see all of the packages and items associated with a particular transfer.
All information entered into the manifest fields are required and can be saved and printed in PDF format. You can save a copy of the manifest for your records if you choose but it is not required. You will also need to print a copy for the driver. Please be sure you read all of the rules and regulations regarding transferring and transfer manifests provided by the State to ensure your transfer is in compliance. Please see your State Supplemental for any extra boxes, dropdowns or choices that your State may have added to the transfer manifest page.
- Lookup Drow Down. The Lookup Drop Down will provide the user with a list of drivers that have been previously entered into Metrc. Every time a driver is entered for the first time the information associated with that driver will be added for future use. The driver information includes Badge number/Handler's Permit or Username, Driver's Name, and Driver's Lic. No. but is not associated to the vehicle.
- Driver Information. The first time you use a driver you will need to add their information into Metrc. Please keep in mind you will need to fill this information out completely. After you enter this information it will be saved for future use.
- Vehicle Lookup Drop Down. The Vehicle Lookup Drop Down will provide the user with a list of vehicles that have been previously entered into Metrc. Every time a vehicle is entered for the first time the information associated with that vehicle will be added for future use. The vehicle information is not associated to the driver.
- Vehicle Information. The first time you use a vehicle you will need to add the vehicle information into Metrc. Please keep in mind you will need to fill this information out completely. After you enter this information it will be saved for future use.
- Destination Drop Down. The Destination Drop Down menu is used to select the location you will be shipping to. You can not enter a location, you can only select from the menu. All actively licensed businesses are located in this list. The menu is sorted in numerical order by license number.
- Transfer Type Drop Down. The Transfer Type Drop Down specifies the kind of transfer you are performing. Transfer types include: Infusion - Transferring to a Processor that is Processing for your own Dispensary/Retailer, Transfer - for transferring from any facility to a Testing Lab or any licensed facility that a facility it is connected to (such as OPC/Producer to their Dispensary/Retailer) and Wholesale for Transferring to another licensee. Please see your State's rules and regulations as to the type of transfers that are allowed for your license type.
- Transfer Schedule. The Transfer Schedule allows you to put in the estimated date and time for the departure and expected date and time for the arrival for the shipment. You may manually enter data or use the calendar functions.
- Planned Route. The planed route field is used for each specific leg of a transfer. If the transfer is going from one location to another only one route will need to be entered. If the transfer is a multipoint transfer, a field for each leg of the transfer will need to be completed. The field shown will only be for the individual leg of the transfer.
- Package Drop Down. The Package Drop Down allows you to pick the packages if they were not previously chosen from the packages screen.
- Item Description. The Item Description field shows the contents of the package selected in the corresponding package ID number. This description is designed for use as a validation by the user. If the item description does not match the desired contents the user should verify they have selected the correct package. The item description can not be changed or altered by the user.
- Subtract button. The black Subtract (minus) Button will remove the corresponding package from the transfer manifest.
- Add button(Package). The black Add (plus) Button will add additional packages to the manifest. A user should only add packages to that manifest for the particular destination they are traveling too. If you have multiple destinations a user should add the packages for each destination under that destination and not all packages under one destination. A user can add as many packages for that destination as required.
- Add button(Destination). The blue Add Button will add an additional destination. When a new destination is added new fields will be shown for the user to complete. The new fields will include destination, route, schedule and package. The user will not need to adjust or change the driver or vehicle information.
- Register Transfer button. The Register Transfer Button will finalize the manifest creation process and make the manifest available to all parties named in the transfer.
After a transfer has been registered it will be viewable by the licensee who created it as outgoing, by the company receiving it as incoming and by the State. Transfers can be scheduled in advance for as many facilities as desired and for as many packages as needed as long as the transfer meets regulations.
- A transfer can not be generated for a package that has not been created. Only live packages can be added to a transfer manifest and shipped.
- The packages for delivery should correspond to the destination they are assigned to.
- Metrc is a reporting system. All transfers should be completed based on all applicable rules and regulations put forth by the State. Metrc does not replace, alter or change any rule or regulation. If you have questions about how you should be manifesting product please refer to the State.
A transfer can be changed, modified or voided any time a licensee chooses to do so, up until the time it leaves the facility. Once the transfer process has begun the transfer may not be modified. The product being transferred will remain the responsibility of the business that originated the transfer and will not be entered into the recipients possession until the receive button is selected by the recipient. You may edit each of the transfer fields in the Metrc transfer to the same level of detail as when the transfer was created. Edits may be completed for a variety of reasons including: Error correction, Changes in destination, Changes in product etc. The Voiding of a transfer will permanently eliminate the transfer and move the product back into the originators inventory. The transfer process is a key component of the chain of custody and modification to a transfer manifest should be handled accordingly.
- License and Vehicle. License and Vehicle can be changed as required.
- Destination. The Destination of a transfer can be changed. In the Destination area, select a new location and a new planed route. Remember the destinations in the pull down menu are listed in numerical order by business license number.
- Transfer Type. The Transfer type can be modified if the ordinal information was entered incorrectly or if the package is being redirected for a new purpose.
- Schedule. The schedule can be adjusted if the transfer has been delayed or moved to an alternate time.
- Package button. The package pull down can be used to change the package. If you need to add a package you can select the black Add (plus) button and a new pull down will appear you can use to add an additional package. You can add any package to the manifest required. Removing the package from the transfer will put the package back into the transfer originators inventory.
- Add Package button. If you are sending more than one package, then you can use the Add Package button to add another package to the Transfer.
- Add Destination button. If the Transfer is being modified to add an additional destination, selecting the blue Add (plus) button will create a new destination. Please remember that all of the required fields for a new destination will need to be filled out. Please also remember to put the appropriate package information under the corresponding destination.
- Save Trander button. Once you have completed the modifications, select the Save Transfer button to finalize the transfer.
- New packages can be added or packages may be removed. However, even though you can add or remove packages you cannot adjust the package from the transfer screen. If a package needs to be adjusted you will need to remove the package from the transfer to make the adjustment. If you want to add the package back to the transfer you may do so after it has been adjusted.
- Each field with the filter symbol can be reviewed and searched (see search functions for more details).
- You can select the Drop Down Menu Arrow to review all of the information about that manifest (see graphic below).
Voiding A Transfer
Voiding a Transfer can only be completed by the originating business. To Void the transfer the user will need to navigate to the outgoing tab on the transfers screen. Simply locate the void button associated with the proper transfer and select the Void button (see the graphic below).
When you have selected the Void button you will receive a prompt asking you to confirm your decision. Simply select the OK button to confirm.
Once a transfer has been voided it cannot be reinstated and all of the associated packages will be returned to the transfer originators inventory.
Receiving a Transfer is the exchange in the chain of custody. Once the recipient has selected the receive button, that business has accepted the package and thus taken responsibility for it. Incoming transfers can come from your facility or any company you do business with. You have three options with incoming transfers: Review, Receive or Reject. In the screen below you can see both the receive button and the manifest review.
By selecting the Drop Down Menu Arrow to the left of the transfer Manifest ID number, you can see and review the contents of the shipment prior to taking receipt of the packages.
On the right hand side of the transfer manifest you can select the receive button. Selecting the receive button will not accept the transfer but instead will launch the editable receive transfer screen.
- Driver Information. As a best practice the recipient should verify the Occupational License and Vehicle information of the delivery person before receiving the transfer.
- Package Information. This will show the package ID number and contents of the package. This should be verified prior to receiving into Metrc.
- Shipped/Reveived Quantity. The Shipped Quantity will show the amount of the product that was recorded when the package was created. Metrc will automatically populate the same product quantity in the Receive Quantity field as the package had when it was created.
If the Shipped Quantity does not match the Received Quantity the recipient has two choices:
- Adjust the package in the Receive Quantity field to the correct the variance.
- Reject the package.
- If the user accepts the package the adjustment will show in Metrc (See picture below package ending in 241).
- Recive Transfer button. Selecting the receive transfer button will accept the transfer and move the packages into the recipients inventory.
- Reject Package.
A single package can be rejected from a transfer without having to reject the entire transfer. Simply check mark the reject package box next to the corresponding package.When you reject a package the received quantity and unit of measure will disappear.Any package not check marked will be received. At that point you can accept the transfer and the rejected package(s) will remain in the custody of the sender.
To Reject the entire transfer select all of the packages in the transfer and select the receive button.
The process button is for use by the business who has the rejected packages. If the packages have been rejected, the process button will bring the packages back into the inventory of the company who initiated the transfer who's packages were rejected. So if you have a rejected package as the sender, you will have to select the process button to put the packages back into your inventory.
- Once the recipient has selected the receive button, they are responsible for the package and its contents in whatever condition it may be in.
- It is in the best interest of the recipient to verify the contents of the package before receiving the package in Metrc.
- Packages can be adjusted in the receive transfer process.
- There is not a "Reject Transfer" button, transfers are rejected by package.
- A business processing a rejected package or transfer will use the process button to move rejected packages back into their inventory.
- Make sure you are in compliance with all of the applicable rules and regulations set forth by the State.
A manifest can be viewed by selecting the View Manifest Button. The view Manifest button is available in incoming, outgoing and rejected screens. You will need to select the manifest before you select the View Manifest Button. You can see all of the details of the manifest without having to view it by selecting the Crop Down Arrow Button next to the corresponding manifest number.
Once you have highlighted the appropriate Manifest and selected the View Manifest Button a new tab in your browser will launch and the manifest will open as a PDF file. You will need to allow popups from Metrc to view the manifest.
You can print or save the manifest from the view manifest selection by using your browser print and save buttons. Please remember you will need to print the manifest for the driver before he leaves the facility.